"Koala Lou"
Emu
Wombat!
Country Stop in Australia
Abby & Blanche
Stacey & Karly
Paper-like Tree outside Bellaire
Brie & I- Cloud 9
Tree That looks like Skin
Week 4: 2/16/09- 2/22/09
It is hard to believe that week four has come and gone. The week marked one month of me being in Australia, where does the time go!? This means I have two more months to ‘live it up’ and make the most!
The highlights of the week: Tuesday was Lauren Bennett’s Birthday! Kenz and I had so much fun making a video (which is still lost in cyberspace) but that is okay we got to video chat with her until 2:30 AM on her birthday it was the next day after school for us! FYI- Skypes’ video chat works much better than gmail! Kenz made Lauren a plethora of cards!! (Just about brought Lauren to tears!) Wednesday I got a strawberry lime slush puppy that rocked my world almost as much as the exciting email I got from Mallory Farmer… Harry, you know exactly what I am talking about ;)
The weekend brought a good time and pleasant surprises. Friday avo (afternoon) Mitchell had a cricket game near the Waterfront. During his game Kenz, Jen, Zoe, and I ventured to the Botanical Gardens of Geelong. This was so refreshing for me. I loved walking through this beautiful area, full of greens, secret pathways, fresh roses, glowing sunflowers, and massive trees! Much of these gardens were new for me- very Australian, I loved it! Marc you would have loved this too- I thought of you nearly the whole time!
Friday evening I caught up with about 8 of the Junior Unit teachers. We went out for drinks and a nice girl chat at Cloud 9 in Highton. It was so relaxing to just sit and talk with the girls outside of the classroom. I really enjoyed them all, and the special “lolly” drinks that I had- the perfect place for a bunch of girls wanting to just be girls.
Saturday morning was great for catching up with home. I even got to talk to Grandma & Papa; they were at the house with mom and dad. In the midst of it all I got a text from Lou asking if I wanted to do some sightseeing. The next thing I knew it was noon and I was instructed to put on some jeans and prepare for a “Magical Mystery Tour.” Any of you who know me well, know that this type of thing is RIGHT up my ally. By 12 we had a house full, Faye, Jeff, and Joy were dressed up and ready for the horse races... by the way mom- Faye fell in LOVE with the ‘come to the table’ cookbook that we gave Jen- I thought she was going to snatch it. I think she wants to paint from it sometime! Anyway, Lou, Kato, Mitchell and I hit the road. We road tripped to Ballarat (about an hour away) for a fun day with Australia’s finest selection of Wild Life.
Ballarat is actually a famous historical mining town. In the 1850’s an enormous golden nugget was found in this town, which caused the Eureka Rebellion. This was a battle between the miners and an unjust goldfield administration (this has about the same significance as Gettysburg for we Americans)- and the battle was all over GOLD. Today there is a place in Ballarat called Sovereign Hill where you can go and see accurate reenactments of this stockade, relive an authentic 1850’s Ballarat town, and walk through the gold museum. I have seen an old timey photo that the Gordon Family took there about a year ago, it is really neat.
The Ballarat Wildlife Park was amazing. I could not believe how many Kangaroo’s and Wallabies (smaller Kangaroos) I got to see… not only did we get to see them but we got to PLAY with them. I wasn’t the only one who was excited, Lou, Mitchell, and Kato were so excited to be there also and loved every moment. I couldn’t believe how cuddly and cute the little roo’s were. They were like calm dogs or deer; they just wanted to be stroked. I really feel like I bonded with the little guys. I also got to touch and have a picture made with a Koala. I loved these little muffins as well- my heart was beating so fast with excitement. I also hung out with a few other animals for the first time ever, including, wombats, tazzy devils (like the cartoons), echidnas, emus, and more. What an experience- priceless! Marc & Madison: they had an awesome reptile exhibit as well- snakes, iguanas, and crocodiles included. YIKES.
We stopped at a bakery on the way home and got pizza subs and I got caramel Koalas. Mommy Dot & Granddaddy- this is the Australian equivalence to Caramellos—mmmm… soo goood!!!
Lou & I bought “Snacks” for Sat night. We had a dispute about the proper name for pickles and kicked back at Lou’s place with Jesse. We went out for a bit, into town and hung out at a place called Beav’s but it wasn’t too late of a night. Good thing because I was planning on Church Sunday morning!!
Living with the Gordon’s day by day is still full of precious blessings. They take good care of me here and I feel right at home. I feel this way with their extended family as well- now I understand what it feels like to gain an instant family- pretty magical! Kenz has discovered the joy of taking jumping pictures. She is a diva, this weekend she left a note out for me explaining that I could use her make-up if I wanted to and also the colors that would look good with my outfit. I mean what more could I ask for from my first experience with having a little sister. She has a dance move for just about any song she listens to. She is so entertaining! Jenni continues to be an amazing cook, mum, and friend! I look forward to ‘tea’ and often dessert every night. I am definitely spoiled here!!
We had Mexican for dinner this past week and it was AMAZING! Is it weird that I think that Mexican is a taste of home? Instead of Mexican, they love Indian and Thai here.
Random note: I forgot to mention but for all you that understand this sentiment: THERE ARE HAWKS IN AUSTRALIA… and they have been circling. God winking for sure. ;)
What kind of tree is that? It is so strange looking! By the way, I'm glad those precious little 'roos were not aware of what you've been having for dinner...
ReplyDeleteWe hold the Gordon family close in our hearts. We are grateful for the warm manner in which they have embraced you. You will forever on have two families...
'Hawks' are there too? How about that!
Love you more than all the kangaroos in Australia,
Mom
thanks mom...
ReplyDelete4B says thanks for the letters...send the rest soon! Also we want some pictures of the kids.
ReplyDeletei would have loved the botanical gardens, theres some crazy plants in australia. we just watched the movie Australia last night and I thought of you and all the fun you are having over there. I also just watched a documentary the other day about the australian gold rush and all the things that happened because of it. gotta love those little 'coincidences'
ReplyDeletethat one tree looks like a melting candle
ReplyDelete