Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The School End of Things Week 4

2/16/09- 2/22/09

I am beginning to pick up on the details and tricks of the trade at school, the little organizational things that Abby & Brie do that make all the difference. I am learning the importance of planning ahead, going the extra mile, and being very intentional with the teaching, explaining specific details, and prioritizing within the classroom.

My role in the classroom certainly increased this week. I started to take on full days. Thankfully I have had the guidance of Brie but it does make for a completely different day when you are in charge of the overall delivery. The time management aspect is good practice or me as well. Some lessons that I taught included; a writing lesson on Disney World, conducting a reading response (anchor chart), a few math lessons on place value, teaching the reading focus for each day, and teaching handwriting. The handwriting aspect, or should I say difference has been interesting. Handwriting is taught by using dotted thirds and also by using specific letter formations. Several of the letter formations are different than how we would write them in America. Particularly, b, p, r, x, and z. They teach the children in a way that sets them up for writing in cursive or in their terms, ‘joined or fluent writing.' All this to say, Brie quickly assisted me with the handwriting lesson. It is funny though because I feel like Brie and Abby love to put me in charge of the interior decorating within the classroom; making posters, drawing bubble letters, and pictures ect. I am learning from their writing differences and perhaps they are appreciating my differences as well!

The Disney World lesson was my favorite this week. I loved it so much because it was an opportunity for me to share my personal experiences with the children. I shared pictures and the PE teacher actually brought in all of his maps, brochures, ticket stubs, and photos from his trip in ’06. The kids loved using their imaginations to write about what it would look like, feel like, and sound like. It dawned on me though in the middle of the lesson, how much the kids enjoyed simply imagining this and how unlikely it is that they will all get to experience it one day. Lauren Bennett, I incorporated a lot of our jumping pictures from the Magic Kingdom- and John & Trudy posing with the Donald & Daisy bushes as well! I also incorporated Chewy stories into a few of my lessons this week and I have never seen the children so captivated and interested!!!! It was so much fun, I love story telling with them. I also read the book, Morris Goes to School this week. The children loved it- I brought it from home! Thanks Madison (I believe your name was written inside).

This week at Bellaire was dedicated to raising money for the Bushfire funds. Through discos, dress down days, and candy sales… Bellaire Primary School raised around $4200! This was announced at assembly on Friday along with an announcement about me being a student teacher from America here for Term One. Assembly happens every Friday afternoon outside with the entire school, faculty, and parents are invited as well. Chris Eddy invited me to the podium for a surprise speech (she asked me to share with everyone a little bit about myself and my stay here thus far)- thank goodness for Winshape and other leadership opportunities in the past that have prepared me for situations such as these- Being put on the spot is always an experience! I know I smiled a lot, so I will rest in that! We also sing the Australian National Anthem every week at Assembly and every Friday with out fail I am reminded that I am American immersed in a sea of Australians, it is fascinating and I rest in knowing in my heart that we are all one people under God.

1 comment:

  1. I'll read the part about Chewy to him when I get home today. He will be so proud. I suppose I should email a picture of Chewy too, how about the one in the Florida Keys when he was listening to the Ipod and wearing your UGA visor?
    ...and "Morris Goes to School"...I hope you told the students how much you loved that book when you were little!
    I'll have to 'google' the Australian National Anthem to see how it goes.
    Trudy should also be proud, Winshape was a life-changing experience for you.
    Also, here's a shout out to UGA, Go Dawgs!
    Love you Mobley...more than all the times my 4th graders will sing the "Fifty Nifty" song this year!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete