Friday, February 6, 2009

The School End of Things Week 2


Monday was the first day of school. The children are precious. It is hard to believe that they teach first and second grade together. I am still getting used to the idea of having two classes in one very large and open classroom. It is a wonderful set-up for team teaching. Abby and Bri work so well together, there is always an aura of encouragement between these two.
One major difference that I have noticed between the Australian and American Education System is simply the daily schedule difference. Here in Australia at Bellaire Primary School a normal day generally consists of three hours of curriculum teaching (mathematics, reading, & writing), one hour of co-curricular activity, and two different recesses, on top of a lunch break. The last hour of the day is usually left open for “whatever needs to be done.”
During the time the children are outside, a few teachers are appointed to a rotating schedule of yard duty while all of the others have a nice social break in the staff room; there are two of these breaks throughout the day; one in the morning and one it the afternoon. I love this schedule; it breaks the day up so nicely and is very refreshing. Where at home the children really only have about a forty minute combined lunch and recess break, and teachers generally have one planning period where they stay in their rooms. No wonder Bellaire feels like such a community, there is actually time for socializing during the workday. I pondered the differences in the schedules and have come to a possible question for why our systems work differently, is it because Australia school systems go year round so in turn they are able to be more relaxed?
I have already seen so much in classroom with Bri and Abby. There are “heaps” of similarities and also differences between our two school systems. Behavioral issues and harsh discipline systems are not very prevalent here. Maybe it is because I have been placed with the sweetest teachers in the world but I haven’t witnessed any major tiffs. I think the vibes that Abby & Bri give off to the children are contagious. Abby & Bri are very positive, genuine, soft-spoken, polite, and organized and the kids seem to in return carry out these same characteristics. I have also noticed that they use a lot of praise in the classroom as well as positive reinforcement. Mitchell & McKenzie have shared with me that in the older grades there is a specific protocol for behavior issues but still it is not very often that they must be used. (Verbal warning- name on the board- moving seats- sent out of the room). Also, it is considered a privilege to go to the principal’s office- generally to show off good work. Things that are I have seen in the classroom thus far include an emphasis on rules, modeling, routines, being soft-spoken but firm, goal setting, and an overall formal instruction in a laid back atmosphere.
I began teaching this week and have been very pleased with the results. I have felt comfortable and confident since the first lesson. This week I taught a lesson on writing a letter, food & nutrition, and reading. I also taught the children how to play, “heads up, seven up.” I feel like I have the students respect and I have worked one on one with both Bri & Abby’s classroom!

School Schedule:
9- Arrive, 11- 11:30- Recess, 1:30 Lunch, Recess 1:45-2:30, 3:30- Dismissal

3 comments:

  1. I don't think that I want to go to school year round, but I do like the idea of more recess. I know that my fourth graders would like that too!
    I'm glad you are learning so much...thank you for the clear descriptions. It helps me to be able to picture what you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the details Mobs! Keep them coming! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats awesome, sounds like you are picking up some valuable experience. thanks for sharing sister!

    ReplyDelete