Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Blog devoted to Church & The God Above ALL


Sunset outside Barabool Hills

Josh, Paul, & Tash

I guess it was sometime back in December when Lou wrote on my facebook wall saying that she had a few friends that she had arranged to take me to Church. This was exciting news for me and just one of the many things to look forward to about my time in Geelong. So last Sunday, Feb. 23rd was my first time going to a Church in Geelong. Lou had Tash, who is the girlfriend of a good friend of her named Paul. Lou also works at school with Paul’s sister, Christine. Tash and I seemed to have an automatic friendship, she has a very outgoing personality- and did not hesitate a minute to introduce to me to the gang. The name of their Church is Connect Church, formally known as Bayside Christian Church. My first impressions of the Church reminded me of home, a similar environment as Athens Church in it’s beginning stages and a more current, Classic City Church in Athens. Everybody at church has been very friendly and welcoming.

What is funny is that Lou arranged for me to go with Paul and Tash but it wasn’t until mid service that I realized that Paul is part of the worship team and some Sunday’s, he leads worship. And it wasn’t until today (3/1) that I realized Paul’s dad is the drummer is the praise band. These things just make me laugh and most definitely bring a smile to my face.

Connect Church is definitely a contemporary church. A lot of the music they sing comes from the Hillsong Church. (The first song sang at church was Happy ☺ Day) I found out from Paul that the church is Pentecostal and a part of the Assembly of God in Australia. They have Baptist roots and they also do a lot of partnership with World Vision. They call their pastor, Pastor Tim and both Sunday’s I have gotten so much out of the message. They mention the Elders of the church a lot and this does remind me of the Baptist Church at home. However, a side from technicalities and names: the Church here is a testament to the God Above all. I cannot explain for you the praise in my heart that I feel each time I am able to know and see God more clearly over here in Australia; whether it is in the quiet, in my daily interactions, or in the church- I am all the more thankful. However, attending church has been a powerful reminder of HOW BIG GOD is and also very refreshing. Jeff was right on last week when he asked me if I have been ‘spiritually replenished’ after church. My answer: most definitely. It is encouraging all the time to see God’s hand at work.

Pastor Tim has been preaching a 3-week series that in a way sums up the vision of Connect church and why they have just recently changed their name. Their three foci: Connect Up, Connect In, and Connect Out.

FYI: connect means to join, fasten, link, unite, hitch, fuse… we are wired for connection.

Week 1: Connect Up… God is my source.
Matt 22: 37-38. “Love the lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind.”(Greatest Commandment). The grape vine analogy: the vine has the only life-giving ability. John 15. We are all going to experience good seasons and no-so-good seasons in life: what is key is how we will respond. Will I believe in the life-giving source? Interesting the vine (God) is able to survive no matter what the conditions are; the vine does all the work. The sole purpose of the branch (us) is just to hang on, stay connected, and be a part of what God is doing (the fruit).

This requires obedience & consistency to be attached to the vine, humility to allow the Gardner to prune, strength to soak up the times when shaping and forming takes place for growth, and patience when the Gardner tests our fruit.

Week 2: Connect In…. God is my model.
“Love your neighbor as yourself.” Matt 22:39. This is the second commandment. We love God with the same heart that we love others… We love God as our Creator and our Father. Dictionary defines neighbor as one in close proximity or ‘fellow man.’ We have a choice- which do you think Christ was referring to? If our answer is fellow man, than we ALL have many neighbors’ aka people to love. In order to authentically love your neighbor you must also know your worth in God’s eyes and love yourself.

Love God, Love Each other. Number 1 & Number 2. {A very brief overview of Pastor Tim’s message the last two Sundays.}

FYI. Connect Church is currently in the midst of finishing their Building Project. They hope to have their own Church or Home for God finished the first of April.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mobley...now I feel like I've been to church in Geelong. I love the way the invitation to church came about for you...Lou has certainly been more than an 'aunt' (ha, ha) to you. You are so blessed with the Gordon family and the connections they have provided for you. I just wish Chicago were not so far from Augusta. We'd love to meet Jeff week after next. Let us know where he is staying in Chicago and we can at least call and chat with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. willl do.. he talks with 'AMERICA' in the morning.. so pray for him! :) he will consider stopping in ATL

    ReplyDelete