Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SCHOOL & Such: Week 7: March 10-13


Luke, Brie, & Abby: Junior Unit presentation for our PD (Professional Development) I must take credit for the making the Poster :) at least I didn't have to present it!
It was an especially short week at school. Monday we had no school because it was Labor Day and by mid-week I had gained a lovely sinus infection that kept me out of school on Wednesday. A day of rest at the Gordon house and some sudafed did wonders for me. So, essentially, I had a three-day week at school. I still managed to stay involved while I was there.

I have gained my own small group for maths that I work with consistently and I was also in charge of directing plays during the reading each day. I had a lot of fun with kids performing the given plays. Each day this week I worked with a different reading group. We performed Snow White & the seven dwarfs, the Tortoise & the Hare, and a few others. I can remember when I was young how the day magically changed when you add in something as exciting as performing a play in front of the class. The kids ate it up!

I also organized a few DKU (Deep Knowledge Unit) lessons this week. We did a fun activity making posters for the proper rules of various places in the community. Doesn’t sound very exciting but trust me, I used my creative powers and tried my best it into something fun, enjoyable, and exciting. It was successful!

Friday at assembly, McKenzie and a few of her best girlfriends performed their very own song and dance, “I say” in front of the entire school and parents. It was quite bold and impressive. Kenz had solo singing and dancing parts, must have been inspired by all that High school Musical- Hannah Montana jazz. Chloe even played her guitar. I love so much watching the child-like faith and confidence thrive in situations like these. The girls received a screaming applaud from the crowd; I have no doubt that they will now be considered ‘famous’ around Bellaire.

This week I have admired Abby’s ever-present positive attitude towards the kids. When I find myself in situations where I might be secretly rolling my eyes or dragging my feet a bit, I look at Abby and she is always smiling. She really lets her joy overflow into her teaching and her relationships with co-workers. I desire this as well and the power of a smile and a laugh is something that I have learned the importance of this week. It is so important to do the best you can but also to not take things too seriously, I’ve learned that things work out best when you relax and just go with it.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you have discovered some of the 'secrets' of being a happy, successful teacher before you even have your first paying job. Making learning fun and having a positive attitude are key points...hooray that you can recognize this! I want to know more about DKU; sounds interesting! Thank goodness for the teachers you have been placed with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mobs... Love your mom's comments. She's so encouraging. AND I love your comments about eye rolling. I have my moments, too, & then I realize I just need to go with it & relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just go with it and relax... you are preaching to me miles and miles away! Just what I needed to hear:) Miss you more than you know! LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete