Thursday, January 29, 2009

1/26/09- Sydney Day 3: to Melbourne to Geelong: *Australia Day* Monday


Katy and I book it out of the hostel and venture into the streets of Sydney one last time. We had our first grocery store experience at Woolworth’s. We ate our purchases downtown in Sydney at he Hilton and pretended our parents were checking in. The craziness of Australia day came about fast, flags and tats everywhere. We ventured to Circular quay on the water near the Opera House where a large celebration concert called; “Rock Song” was taking place. People were jamming everywhere and sunscreen was available by the gallon- for free! We needed a beer to blend in with all of the crazy and proud Ozzies. Cruise bar is where we took a load off. We had a photo shoot with Wayne and Shane, they wanted pictures with us- so why not...

By 3 PM we were at the Sydney airport… Katy and I shared a few tears, a devo, a prayer, a smile, and a peace out. I fly to Geelong and she flies to Perth—maybe the weirdest feeling I have ever had—flying into unknown but with a great sense of trust and excitement. I tried my best to stay “cool as a cucumber” for my dear friend Lauren Bennett….

Shortly after I landed I met Jenni, Mitchell and McKenzie.. All dressed up coming from the Melbourne Cup Horse races, I was so happy to see their smiling faces and a colorful sign welcoming me to their home. Such a sweet moment.. We were all extra appreciative after a slight airport mix up, it was my bad.... all they had say was “it’s alright” & “no worries” – little did I know how often I would come to hear these phrases here. I must say there is nothing more bizarre and thrilling than gaining an instant family… we had a great car trip home, the driving differences throw me off big time but it is cool as long as I am not the driver ☺.

Once we made it home we had a big Australian bbq with lamb and BBQ chicken—we had two special desserts: pavlova and lamingtons. The PowerPoint has finally come to life and I have officially seen the house and met all of the pets; except the “yabby” he died…. I love my room, perfectly organized and waiting were (fresh flowers, cards, closet space, a new desk, and a nice bed: you name it, it was there! A Glass of wine, a game of Cricket, visit with Lou (Jen’s younger sister), and finally my first call home to mom and dad was the perfect ending to a LONG but EXCITING day…




1 comment:

  1. A day to always remember...you will play it over in your mind for the rest of your life...God is so good. He has placed you with the best possible family. I am so thankful...why did I every doubt?

    ReplyDelete